Thinking of volunteering?
You probably have a million and one questions, we'll try to answer a few here!
Who we are and what do we do?
We are a friendly one-stop centre and we are here to give you information, advice and guidance on all aspects of volunteering.
Who can volunteer?
We welcome enquiries from anyone interested in volunteering and there is something for everyone. Read some volunteer stories here.
- If you are currently taking part in the Work Programme we are sorry but we cannot provide you with support. For more information regarding our position on the Work Programme and other workfare initiatives you can visit www.keepvolunteeringvoluntary.net/workfare-is-wrong.
Why would you want to volunteer?
There are many varied reasons.
Here is a sample of what current volunteers have experienced:
- I was recently made redundant and wanted to continue to use my skills and improve them.
- I was looking to improve my employment prospects and can now add my voluntary work to my CV.
- I wanted to get out and meet new people
- I have been unemployed and needed to improve my confidence.
- I am thinking of a career change and wanted to develop new skills.
- I really want to help others or give something back.
- Volunteering is fun!
A sample of volunteering opportunities
- Advice, information and support / Befriending & mentoring / Health & wellbeing / Sports & outdoors / Support work / Fundraising / Office work / Social care / Trustees / Catering / Drivng
Read accounts from volunteers who have used our service here.
What can I do?
A whole range of things - here are a few ideas
- Short term or one off opportunities
- Administration or office based volunteering
- Volunteering with children or young people
- Befriending, buddying, mentoring
- Environmental volunteering
- Sports volunteering
- Register here.
- Search & apply here once you're registered
Why use Volunteer Centre Liverpool?
We have the most up-to-date information about current volunteering opportunities, with organisations both national and local. We aim to match the needs and interests of volunteers to the appropriate organisations.
What if I don’t have the skills needed to volunteer?
Don’t worry, in most instances you will be given the training and support.
What if I don’t have enough time to spare?
There are some organisations that would be grateful for your help if, for example, you can only spare one hour a week. There are also those who specialise in short-term volunteering. Why not check out our short term opportunities or have a look at our Micro-Volunteering page.
Will I have to pay for my travel costs?
In most instances, the organisation will reimburse your out of pocket expenses.
I receive Job Seekers Allowance will volunteering affect my benefits?
The benefits system is currently being overhauled by central government. We recommend you seek specialist advice from your local Citizens Advice Bureau.
If you have any immediate concerns regarding your benefit entitlement check out the Department for Work & Pensions website at www.dwp.gov.uk/directgov/.
How do I get started?
To get access to our volunteering opportunities you will need to complete our registration form.
Then you can search and apply for opportunities.
What is the application process for volunteering opportunites?
Each organisation has it's own application process, typically this could include:
- Application form
- Interview/informal chat
- Criminal records/DBS check
I don't use the internet or have access at home, can I speak to someone face to face?
Of course you can! See our section on Volunteer Centre Liverpool's appointment service.
Can I get some help to volunteer?
Don’t be afraid to ask for information about getting some help to access volunteering . Our advice and guidance team are happy to answer any questions you may have at an interview session.
Looking for opportunities outside Liverpool?
If you live outside of our area of operations there are thousands more volunteering opportunities to choose from, if you would like to find out more, please contact your local Volunteer Centre.
To find your local Volunteer Centre, please visit http://www.ncvo.org.uk/ncvo-volunteering/find-a-volunteer-centre
We are looking for a Data Input / Admin Volunteer to assist us in maintaining our
database of volunteers and volunteering opportunities. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more